"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." Coco Chanel

I created a Dash Of Class because I want to share my passion for fashion in some way. I do not know, as of yet, the unique quality my blog will have, but I will some day.

I named it Dash Of Class because I strongly believe that class should be at the center of everything, from what we wear to how we present ourselves. A dash, meaning a hint, a small amount of class is all that's needed. I don't believe we need to act like prince and princesses, I just think that a hint of class will get everybody far in life. Over the years class has faded, not to mention the meaning of class has evolved and so should we; I hope that I maintain my dash of class for the years to come.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Inspiration From Across the Pond

I was having a minor freak out when I learned that I had to wear something other than a t-shirt and yoga pants to class while studying abroad in England, Summer 2006. You see, we Americans are used to the t-shirt and lounge pants look as perfectly acceptable school attire. Well guess what? Other countries actually dress up a little bit just to attend class. This meant my mom and I were on a hunt for comfortable yet put together and classy apparel. My experience in Newcastle Upon Tyne, located in the far North of the country, has influenced my fashion desires now and transformed the way that I look at styling myself.

An anecdote: I quickly befriended a girl from Sheffield, England. She and I decided to get out the first Friday we had and I was quickly to my closet searching for some great outfit. I felt confident and great in my tan peep toes, boot cut jeans and nice v-neck brown top with a belt that wrapped into a bow in back. When I met up with her, I felt like I was dressed to go to a BBQ alongside her, who looked like she was straight off the runway. She was wearing a graphic tee, leggings, bright red booties and accessories to the max. I don't know how it looked so dressed up, but she made it work- she made everything work. I could not get over her bright red booties, like ones left. My point is, to me, she was fashion forward and I loved her glamorous, yet effortless, look.

Let's fast forward 1 year and some months ahead. . . . while living in Newcastle with my fiance (who I met that Friday night), he and I wandered the city centre frequently. On this one occasion, I stopped dead in my tracks as I noticed a family of 4. Mom, Dad, daughter and son were all in jean shorts, white socks above the ankles with sneakers and sweatshirts from some Universities. This screamed "I'm an American tourist" just as much as a man wearing a baseball uniform, carrying the Star Spangled Banner and eating a hot dog does. Now, I know we are not all like this because we have some hugely stylish people knocking about this massive country. On the flip-side we have plenty of white sock sporting, 90 jean shorts and sweatshirt wearing families.

Moving swiftly to my point, again: I have been inspired to always look towards the English (and Europeans) for some style sense and to ensure that I am living in fashion forward ways (to a degree). Some websites I visit often for inspiration are reiss.co.uk, tedbaker.com and topshop.com, (I always click on the UK flag so I get their styles). This summer I am after a jumpsuit, or as it is often called across the pond, a playsuit. This one I found at top shop, I am in love with and hope to find. Paired with these Ted Baker shoes, I would feel edgy, elegant and oh so stylish. Whatever you do, do NOT wear white socks above your ankles with sneakers and jean shorts that give way to the camel toe- yes, I said it. Research styles/trends online, be inspired by what you like and keep this in mind while shopping.

2 comments:

  1. So true. When I went overseas, I found most of the people wore their style with ease and it inspires me more and more. I still am working on my casual outfits to look more stylish and not too frumpy/sporty.
    Do you think the rompers/playsuit would fit any body type?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rompers, jumpsuits, playsuits, et al, come in all different styles and fabrics. All are not created equal. If you're tall and lean look for a hiphugging material or silk, which is generally unforgiving on curves. If you have a sporty body type look for ones that are made of Jersey (a heavier flowing fabric unlike silk) and have a longer short length. the longer the short length the higher the heel. The key is to find the right fit which is tasking. Wear heels if you feel like it shortens you. I'm short so I wouldn't dream of wearing flats with a playsuits it would make my legs look stumpy. Color matters too. Black is always a good choice. Hope this helps. Don't get too frustrated with the hunt for this seasons big trend. I'm returning one I bought because the cinched waist line hit me way too low. I'm hunting.

    ReplyDelete