"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." Coco Chanel

I created a Dash Of Class because I want to share my passion for fashion in some way. I do not know, as of yet, the unique quality my blog will have, but I will some day.

I named it Dash Of Class because I strongly believe that class should be at the center of everything, from what we wear to how we present ourselves. A dash, meaning a hint, a small amount of class is all that's needed. I don't believe we need to act like prince and princesses, I just think that a hint of class will get everybody far in life. Over the years class has faded, not to mention the meaning of class has evolved and so should we; I hope that I maintain my dash of class for the years to come.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Shoe Story

I said that I would share my shoe story and so I shall.

I was 13 or so and in middle school. I played the violin and was looking forward to our upcoming orchestra field trip to Georgia for a competition. My mom helped me pack up and sent me on my merry way with $40 to cover my food costs. Before the big competition we made a quick stop at a food court in some mall nearby the music hall. As my friends stood in line at Sbarros and McDonald's, I decided to try on shoes. Then, I saw them, the black 2 1/2 inch classic penny loafers that set me $40 and some change back. I bought them on the spot, spent EVERY penny I had, but I did love them! We were in Georgia for an additional 2 days and I became a scavenger; I ate off the plates of my friends and begged chaperons to spare me some change. You see, when you impulsively buy shoes and spend your entire budget on them, you do not have money for vital things, like bread and milk.

I remember complaining of my hunger pangs and eating everything in sight when I finally got home. My mother questioned why I was soooooo hungry and I had to spill the beans. I imagine she was mortified when she learned that I had to borrow money from the other moms on the trip. I'm sure those chaperons thought, 'what kind of a mother sends their daughter away on a trip and doesn't give them money for food?' Little did they know, my mother was more than generous, it was my shoe goddess possessed mind that brought my funds to $0. My mom was less than thrilled when I brought her my shopping bag and explained that I spent my 'lunch money' on shoes instead. And thus my obsession with shoes was known and there was no turning back. For the years to come, I would be held by the hand while walking through department stores just so I could be jerked away and held tight when nearing the shoe salons. Now my husband has to deal with it. I'm used to the eye rolling now, it doesn't phase me. You will never weaken my desire for shoes. Muhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaa!

Here's an image resembling the penny loafer I bought in 1998:

mine had a taller heel.


Here's what I'm loving now in 2010:

Look for more Look for less


Jimmy Choo $1,195-OR- Michael Kors $96.23


Love these too:

Look for more Look for less


Gucci $695 -OR- BCBG $89.25

No comments:

Post a Comment