"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." Coco Chanel

I created a Dash Of Class because I want to share my passion for fashion in some way. I do not know, as of yet, the unique quality my blog will have, but I will some day.

I named it Dash Of Class because I strongly believe that class should be at the center of everything, from what we wear to how we present ourselves. A dash, meaning a hint, a small amount of class is all that's needed. I don't believe we need to act like prince and princesses, I just think that a hint of class will get everybody far in life. Over the years class has faded, not to mention the meaning of class has evolved and so should we; I hope that I maintain my dash of class for the years to come.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Defying Laws We Once Knew

I've heard it once, read it twice, seen it thrice (in three different magazines), so it must be true. Spring 2010 is bringing us fashion that is definitely a break from the norm and expected. Not skin tight? Mix and match patterns? Wear lots of metallics? YES! I've included a video from the Today show. It gives you a good idea of the up and coming trends for Spring 2010.

I really do love it all. Like I have said before, the flowing fabrics I am going to sport no problem. But to be honest, I don't know if I can rock the striped shirts paired with floral skirts look. I have to admit that I admired Punky Brewster when I was a child. I mean, she was cool, a rebel, had an attitude and a style all her own. She rocked the heck out of color blocked high tops (which I owned, sadly) and other mixed matched outfits that inspired my begging for clothes just like her to my mother, which must have driven her insane. Anybody else?

I spent the next decade and some years discovering what fashionable trends I loved and learning my own style. I have learned that I love black and rarely wear bright colors. Matching my wardrobe is a piece of cake. All of a sudden (and this is what is so fun about fashion) we are being told to forget what we've been told and mis-match it all. Let's not go hog wild here. There are some guidelines to wearing different patterns. Like staying with a color theme, or being more bold with the top and less kapow with the bottom half. But, I sit here and shake my head. Can I do that? I think it defies my personal style. No seriously. Wearing a floral skirt would be a giant leap for me, let alone a floral skirt with a loud top. That's not to say I can't appreciate it because I do. I know that I'll see plenty of it all season long and I can't wait. It just won't be on me. How about you, could you mix patterns?



Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment